Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Philadelphia building world's largest hotspot

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:58 -0400

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Jeff Schult <jss () tftb com>
To: dave () farber net
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:21:09 -0400
Subj: Re: [IP] Philadelphia building world's largest hotspot

Hi Dave,

Regarding Philadelphia's plans -- I wonder if any well-informed list
subscriber could compare and contrast with what we've heard about New York?
There seems to be a stark contrast in policy. In New York, the city plans
sell or lease antenna space so that cellular/wireless corporate providers
can (presumably) improve service, bringing in some $21 million a year. In
Philadelphia, providing public access is treated as a necessary
infrastructure improvement.

I am not a New Yorker but was upset to hear the direction chosen there,
especially since there seems to be a large community wireless effort
(http://www.nycwireless.net/) ... I've been writing a bit about the future
of public access here in Connecticut, where we have no particular direction
(or debate, as yet.)

Is New York being short-sighted, penny-wise and pound-foolish? Or is
Philadelphia interfering with the sacred "competitive" landscape?

-jeff schult