Interesting People mailing list archives

Where There's Traffic There's a Traffic Jam

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:05:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Greg Brooks <gregb () west-third com>
Date: September 9, 2004 10:58:32 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Where There's Traffic There's a Traffic Jam

For IP, if you wish...

Dave, a memo to urban planners:

The second most congested city in the nation also lays claim to the third
highest level of transit use (about 31% of the population, tied with
Boston).

Something's wrong with this picture, and merely saying "well, people should use transit to a greater degree" won't fix it. Urban planners in most (if
not all) U.S. metros make 30-year transportation decisions based on a
worldview (or profession-view, if you will) that more transit equals a
better transportation system. The fact is, there are better ways to tackle traffic, but they require political will and a desire to do more than just
buy shiny new buses and rail cars.

Planners and local politicians are willing to embrace subsidized solutions like transit, but too few take an equal look at market-based solutions like congestion pricing. For politicians, this is understandable -- who wants to be the one to propose tolls on the public's "free" roads? However, combined
with incentives for carpooling and/or off-peak use of the roadway,
variably-priced tolls have been shown to do what transit has trouble
achieving: increased efficiency of a roadway for a sustained period, without
subsidies.

Unless we're going to embrace growth limit lines (as I believe they've done in Portland, Oregon), tax suburban developers into the ground or take other
really Draconian measures to enforce urban density, the fact will remain
that most folks want their quarter-acre of dirt and their single-family
detached home. That means suburbs and a primarily automobile-based
transportation system, and *that* means we need to figure out how to
encourage more efficient auto use rather than assuming everyone will climb
on the bus.

Warm Regards,
Greg Brooks
www.greg-brooks.com

Where There's Traffic There's a Traffic Jam
By DALE McFEATTERS
Sep 9, 2004, 05:35

<<SNIP>>