Interesting People mailing list archives

Offshoring helps the economy... if you're a CEO who offshores.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:46:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: September 1, 2004 1:57:47 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Offshoring helps the economy... if you're a CEO who offshores.

this is such a misuse of statistics it's hard to know where to start.

perhaps these companies perform better - or are larger - in the first place. What percentage of jobs are going offshore? and what's happening to their US employment? What's cause and what's effect and what is correlation based on other factors? the numbers cited are meaningless - at least in the way they are cited.

I appreciate your sending these things our way but this one is not honest opinion - it's dressed-up facts - and deserves some rebuttal (which this is not.... this merely says that meaning is more complicated than a collection of numbers).

Esther