Interesting People mailing list archives

Do we need more scientists?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 06:53:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Finin <finin () cs umbc edu>
Date: September 5, 2004 8:56:48 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Do we need more scientists?

Peter Harsha's CRA Research Policy Blog
(http://www.cra.org/govaffairs/blog/) has an entry on a
RAND report on the Science and Engineering workforce:

  Thanks to Richard Jones at the American Institute of
  Physics for pointing out this report put together by
  RAND on The U.S. Scientific and Technical Workforce:
  Improving Data for Decision making. The report is an
  interesting collection of papers on the current
  controversy surrounding the adequacy of the science
  and engineering workforce and very relevant to
  current questions about projected shortages in the IT
  workforce specifically.

  I'll have more to comment on this as I dig in to the
  report, but I can say by way of preview that the most
  notable paper appears to be Michael S. Teitlebaum's
  chapter "Do We Need More Scientists?" Teitelbaum, a
  demographer and program director at the Alfred
  P. Sloan Foundation, argues that recent history is
  littered with predictions of S&E workforce shortages
  that have failed to appear and that any current claim
  of shortage has to address how it's possible given
  the relatively high levels of unemployment found in
  certain S&E occupations and the lack of increasing
  salaries.

  ... http://www.cra.org/govaffairs/blog/ ...