Interesting People mailing list archives

this is the end of string djf more on How bizarre can it get?? We're about to find out...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:46:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gordon C. Thomasson, Ph.D." <gthomas1 () stny rr com>
Date: September 30, 2004 1:15:49 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on How bizarre can it get?? We're about to find out...

As a historian who has studied not just the NRA's systematic false-reading/ propaganda of/about the Second Amendment (which their lawyers have been very careful to keep out of the federal courts), but the debates of the First Congress that created the Bill of Rights, the Second absolutely does not protect private gun ownership.  The Founding Fathers' use of the word militia is intentional and was well considered.  Any contrary argument is absolutely ahistorical and based on either ignorance, studied
 ignorance, or lying.

Secondly, it AIN'T just about bayonet lugs or even banana magazines.  And those are not the main concern the many police lobbies that supported the ban.  If you have spent any time around the gun world at all, you have seen kits sold for almost every "legal" assault weapon that converts it from semi-automatic to fully automatic.  If you haven't seen them
 you either have no knowledge, are lying, or look too much like a cop.

Years ago I saw kits that people had obtained through the mail (M-1 carbines, 1960s; AK47s, 1970s).  I have seen kits for many other weapons since then, just walking around pretending to mind my own business, listening and watching at gun shows and swap meets.  It has always been a barely under-the-counter trade.  It is practiced in much the same way that crocks for brewing beer were sold during prohibition (and you can still find these at antique shows).   The pale yellowish-white crocks had lettered on the side a "Notice" that federal law prohibited combining the below-listed ingredients
 (a recipe for beer) in that crock, allowing it to ferment, etc.

The ATF Raid on David Koresh (which would not have been a debacle if a "journalist" had not called Koresh and warned him the Feds were coming, for which he absolutely should have been tried as an accessory before-the-fact to murder),  was fully justified legally in that Koresh had obtained assault-type weapons and fully automatic conversion kits, and had, according to witness-testimony, converted the weapons, and thus would, without any question be in violation of federal law.  ATF's last initial, "F", stands for firearms, and they have the responsibility to enforce the laws against automatic weapons.  ATF men were murdered by Koresh in the line of duty.  Later "mistakes" by the FBI and/or suicide by Koresh are ABSOLUTELY irrelevant to the fact that ATF had probable cause and  legal obligation to do what they did, and that Koresh was in blatant violation of the law..

FULL DISCLOSURE:  I am a pacifist  and NOT  a gun-owner.  I became a pacifist in the 1960s after a friend employed by the FBI took me shooting and I drew down on a mannequin but suddenly knew nothing in the world could move me to pull the trigger in real life, though I had fired many weapons at bulls-eye paper targets and clay pigeons before that.  My very best friend, on the other hand, has several Glocks, knows how
 to use them, and carries them daily in his employment.

 Gordon C. Thomasson, Ph.D.
 World History Faculty
 Broome Community College (SUNY)

 Begin forwarded message: