Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Microsoft server crash nearly causes 800-plane pile-up

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:35:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "DL Neil, Newsletter account" <IP () dande homechoice co uk>
Date: September 28, 2004 10:01:47 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Microsoft server crash nearly causes 800-plane pile-up

Dave,

This is reprehensible, not the least that the controllers obviously lost their ability to communicate with planes despite radio and radar still working, so one questions the fault-tolerance of their overall system design, backups, practicing, etc.

Next up is the idea that someone regards the reboots as 'critical' and then makes it (a) a manual process, and (b) an unsupervised process at that.

Next comes questions of the wisdom of running a 24x7 non-stop system on servers which quite plainly cannot run non-stop. Who signed-off and paid that invoice?

Finally are they sure that there is really is such a problem necessitating these timed shutdowns? I recall ages ago that there was a fault with (client) PCs that would 'die' if they ran continuously for too long. The joke at the time was that MS wouldn't rush to fix the problem on the grounds that very few machines stayed up for more than 49.7 MINUTES without falling over for some other (spurious) reason, so the problem wasn't exactly 'high profile' or urgently in need of a fix! Further when I did Y2K verification work I recall this question rearing its ugly head, and that it was necessary to install a patch/service pack download including the fix to this problem in order to make Win9n machines Y2K-compliant.

So sarcasm aside I went alooking and sure enough the Win9n "Computer Hangs after 49.7 days" problem appears in the MS Knowledgebase as http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216641 and there's even a single-purpose downloadable fix available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5533e105-bb49 -41dd-8dfb-fdd9df4db39a&displaylang=en. The best I could find for WinNT is the problem of losing perf counters, at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;169847 which is fixed within Service Packs that should be ancient history (even for those still using NT) - but I can't believe that Civil Aviation would be so bothered about uptime counters that they would reboot whole servers - so perhaps there was once more to the issue/in the MS-KB. The Knowledgebase does not appear to have anything to say about this fault appearing under Win2000 (per the article reported) - even if I have to agree from experience is hardly conclusive evidence.

I don't often find myself in the role of apologist for Microsoft (fortunately) and an anti-softie will quickly point out that the *NIX system replaced by the Dell boxes wouldn't have had this problem (take note!) but it really sounds like the question to be asked is not "why did THE procedure not work?" but "why is this even (still) in the procedure?". In other words it is not a technical person whose head should be on the block, but 'management'! However the root of all evil within Civil Aviation systems rarely seems to be technical design, but more often a result of weak management decisions and faceless compromises. Perhaps a 'management' or 'mission' fix here is more urgent, and will yield more benefit (in the words of the President, "keep our people safe"), than all this chasing after the chimera of pre-identifying terrorists?

Regards,
=dn

Begin forwarded message: