Interesting People mailing list archives

: Why it is difficult to counter spam

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:19 -0400

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Interesting People <ip () v2 listbox com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:56:47 -0700
Subj: Why it is difficult to counter spam

Dave,

As much as we all would like world peace, no more cockroaches and the end
of
crime, some problems are not so easy to solve. Spam is a social problem,
rather
than a "failure" of the technology. Spam conforms to Internet technical
standards. Responding to the rise in spam is responding to a change in
requirements. Worse, spam is not monolithic.  At a minimum, we need to
distinguish between overly aggressive marketing, from otherwise-responsible
business, versus criminal conduct by rogue operators.

The  occurrence of Internet spam is very much like having a small town turn
into
a big (American) city.  We have changed from a safe, accountable
environment, to
one that requires more caution and more formal processes. We need to add
locks
to our doors.  We need to be careful when talking to strangers.  We need to
show
our identification when cashing a check.

From a technical standpoint, spam looks pretty much like legitimate mail.
Some
unsolicited mail is essential to the conduct of human affairs. Some bulk
mail is
good, such as subscription-based lists like Interesting People. Some
commercial
mail is good, such as purchase order confirmations.  So the first difficult
question is how to distinguish spam?

The second difficult question is how to institute spam control techniques
without causing fundamental, long-term damage to the utility of email.  The
current 90+% traffic load of spam is doing its own damage, of course, but
we
need to be careful that we do not fix one problem by causing another.
Worse, we
need to be careful we do not fix transient symptoms by making long-term
alterations.

So far, the spamming community is proving to be better organized, more
intelligent and more aggressive than the anti-spamming community.  The
typical
architecture of a spamming system is remarkably sophisticated, involving a
multi-level, globally distributed hierarchy of millions of machines.

So it is well and good to say that the current problem is major and that we
all
must therefore accept some changes. However would be irresponsible to make
basic
changes to an essential, global infrastructure service, without having a
clear
understanding of the impact of those changes and a clear consensus that the
impact is acceptable.

Such analysis and consensus has been notably lacking from public discourse
about
spam. Most public discussions involve emotion, politics and opportunism...
just
like any other public policy exchange.

For all of that, serious work very much is being pursued.  Various national
legal efforts around the world are happening, but laws are not instruments
of
rapid intervention or surgical precision.  Worse, we simply do not know for
certain what laws will work -- The dictum that the Internet routes around
barriers is true for spammers, too. So the current round of legal efforts
constitute experiments. Over time, I expect things to settle on some common
templates.  At a minimum, they will establish common terminology and useful
constraints on responsible business.  It is less clear how much effect they
will
have on criminal spammers.

On the technical side, there are numerous proposals for adding different
types
of authentication to Internet mail. They differ both in techniques and
focus.
For example, some authenticate the author, some authenticate the bounce
address
and some authenticate the mail server operator. Some combination of them is
likely to be necessary.  In fact IETF considerations include 3
authentication
specifications, from Microsoft (Caller-ID/Sender-ID), Yahoo (DomainKeys)
and
Cisco (Identified Internet Mail), so it is difficult to say that major
players
are not working on this seriously.  (For reference, I am involved with two
other
specifications -- CSV and BATV. There are a number of others.)

However, authentication does not prevent spam.  At a minimum, we need to
add
accreditation (reputation) mechanisms before we are likely to make any
serious
inroads.  That won't "eliminate" spam, but it is likely to help.

Unfortunately, email accreditation involves primarily social issues and we
have
no Internet-scale experience with it. One can debate about the
applicability of
various global, financial analysis and authorization services, but my main
point
is that the open Internet has no experience with any of this. Hence the
adoption
of such a capability requires extended consideration, no matter how quickly
we
all might wish to move. I am hoping that any standards effort for
accreditation
starts with sometime modest and straightforward, to reduce the time needed
get it into the field.  The more modest a standard, the easier it is to get
it
adopted... as long as it does something useful.

For example, CSV defines an almost trivial mechanism for querying an
accreditation service and receiving a yes or no.  Trivial, but we think it
likely to be useful. At the least, this will let receiving SMTP servers do
real-time queries, much like obtaining an ATM card approval, using a
standard
interface. And it will let approval-oriented accreditation services compete
in
an open market.  But all of this is very new territory and the technical
standards debates have not even begun.

I'll end by noting that the operational side of spam control requires
on-going
collaboration among service providers and even governments. More of this is
happening.  For example, the Chinese government and Chinese service
providers
have made major inroads. As of 5 months ago, China was the dominant source
of
spam-sending engines and spam-serving web sites. As of this month, they
aren't.
This is a direct result of their initiatives.

d/
--
Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://brandenburg.com>