Interesting People mailing list archives

Why Jobs Should Heed VoIP's Call

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:52:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: September 17, 2004 12:18:26 PM EDT
To: undisclosed-recipient:;
Subject: Why Jobs Should Heed VoIP's Call

SEPTEMBER 16, 2004

BYTE OF THE APPLE
By Alex Salkever

Why Jobs Should Heed VoIP's Call

Apple has what it would need -- including its ongoing transition to a
services outfit -- to make a "Macphone" network work

The hype surrounding the Aug. 31 launch of the third-generation iMac
stole the thunder from another launch of great interest to Mac users.
I'm referring to the public release -- also on Aug. 31 -- by free
Internet telephony company Skype of a long-awaited beta version of
its software for Apple ( AAPL ) OS X.

Apparently I wasn't the only Machead jonesing for Skype. According to
the company, 105,000 people have downloaded its Mac software since
its launch. And bear in mind that this is a true beta version --
definitely not ready for prime time and lacking some of the key
features of the full version available to Microsoft ( MSFT ) Windows
and Linux users.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2004/ tc20040916_1040_tc056.htm