Interesting People mailing list archives

The Bush memos --- for IP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:45:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Cliff Bamford <bamford () oz net>
Date: September 11, 2004 8:43:12 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: The Bush memos --- for IP

Dave, FactCheck.org, despite it's name, is anything but "impeccably
objective" -- go visit their homepage and you'll find this immediately
evident.

Please consider these points, which I've tried to make truly objective:

1. An order obtained by The Dallas Morning News shows that Col. Walter
"Buck" Staudt was honorably discharged March 1, 1972. CBS News reported this week that a memo in which Staudt was described as interfering with officers' negative evaluations of the future president's service was dated Aug. 18,
1973.

2. The compelling engineering issue is not superscripted ligatures -- the
now overblown "th".  That glyph can be constructed (with considerable
effort) by the IBM Selectric Composer introduced in 1966. A more important
fact is that the Composer had no justification function that could have
automatically centered the headings of the purported 4May72 and 1Aug72
memos. Centering those headings would have required careful measuring of each line of text, doing the arithmetic, and then carefully typing each line after setting tabs or counting spaces of the appropriate width. It is of course possible that the two memos used "preprinted" letterhead forms that
were produced that carefully.

3. There are near-compelling issues with line breaks and interline spacing. As I'm sure you recall, the Carriage Return key on Selectrics was a button you pressed yourself, when the margin bell that you manually set went off. Also, the default interline width on the Selectric Composer was different from the one used in MS Word --- which means the putative author of the 72
memos would have had to chosen margin settings and non-default interline
spacing that miraculously resulted in memos that reproduced exactly the
output of Microsoft Word.

Although it is indeed POSSIBLE that the memos in question were created in the 70s, what is the likelihood that anyone would produce, by accident, a typewritten document that looks exactly like what Word produces on a laser
printer, given all the choices for typewriter setting that would be
necessary?  I think the chances are vanishingly small.

Cliff Bamford