Interesting People mailing list archives

Book Released under Creative Commons License

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:40 -0400

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:23:55 -0400
Subj: Book Released under Creative Commons License

This e-mail is to announce the re-release of my 2003 cultural critique
"Weapons of Mass Delusion: America's Real National Emergency" in free
digital (Adobe PDF) format under the Creative Commons License Agreement.

There are two reasons for this action:

First, by releasing this book for free, I hope to encourage people to think
seriously about where our great country is heading as we move toward the
November elections. Regardless of whether or not you agree with my musings
is not the point -- but if some of what I've presented gets you thinking a
bit differently about the world around us and the prospects for our
country's future, then I've done my job as an author.  After all, this
election likely is the most important one we're facing as a nation, and
perhaps as a world.  So consider this a small bit of geekish political
activism.

Second, the release of this book into the Creative Commons indicates my
strong and continuing support for limited but effective copyright laws as
opposed to what today is promoted as "intellectual property protection"  for
those select few with resources enough to influence (read: buy and own)
legislators, regulators, and policy. After all, technology's promise and
potential should be an enabler -- not enslaver -- of the citizenry both now
and for the future.

The free PDF copy of "Weapons of Mass Delusion: America's Real National
Emergency"  can be found at: http://www.infowarrior.org/wmd/.

As a result of "open-sourcing" the digital version of the book, future
proceeds from hardcopy sales will be donated to the Electronic Frontier
Foundation (EFF) to assist in its ongoing efforts to defend our rights to
think, speak, and share ideas, thoughts, and needs using new technologies
such as the Internet and the World Wide Web.

Thank you for your support, and for thinking for yourselves this election
year.

Richard Forno
-infowarrior.org

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the
President or any other public official."  - President Theodore Roosevelt

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series
of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken