Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Re: University Bans Wireless Access Points

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:18:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () mail utexas edu>
Date: September 10, 2004 10:58:24 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Re: University Bans Wireless Access Points

 Dave,

The Association of College and University Telecommunications Administrators (ACUTA) has the following pertinent item in its Sept 2004 newsletter relating to an FCC exemption to FCC Over the Air Reception Devices (OTARD) in college dormitories. <http://www.acuta.org/relation/downloadfile.cfm?docnum=964>

I believe the case in question is a university-owned apartment, which may not be covered by this exemption.

 Regards,
 Dan

From ACUTA Headquarters - Jeri Semer, CAE

 ACUTA Executive Director

FCC Clarifies OTARD Rules: College Dorm Exemption Still Applies =========================================

On June 24, the Federal Communications Commissions Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) issued a Public Notice (DA 04-1844) concerning the use of unlicensed devices (such as WiFi access points). The Public Notice stated that unlicensed devices are subject to the same consumer protections for the installation and use of consumer antennas under the FCCs Over-the-Air Reception Devices (OTARD) rules as, for example, satellite TV dishes. The OTARD rules allow tenants to install such devices in areas subject to their exclusive use and control.

ACUTA immediately contacted the OET staff on this matter, due to our concern about the potentially negative impact of rogue access pointson campus wireless networks. The FCC had stated in a previous Order that campus dormitory housing is exempt from the OTARD rules, because it is not a typical residential lease situation. Through our attorney, we contacted the OET staff to express our concerns regarding the Public Notice, and to seek clarification that the exemption for college dorms was applicable to unlicensed devices.

We are pleased to report the OET staff response that, &the Public Notice does not change prior Commission interpretations of the extent to which college dormitories are, or are not, covered for a particular customer antenna installation.

Thus, colleges and universities may continue to legally prohibit students residing in campus dormitories from placing unauthorized antennas for licensed services (such as broadcast or satellite television) or unlicensed services (such as WiFi).

However, in cases where the institution enters into an actual lease of residential property (such as student apartments or faculty homes), the exemption does not apply. In such cases, the resident would have the right to place antennas within their leased property.

ACUTA continues to carefully watch FCC actions, report on important developments, and represent your interests. Feel free to contact me at jsemer () acuta org if you have questions about this or other matters.