Interesting People mailing list archives

Law Fights to Keep Pace With Tech

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:54:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: September 9, 2004 9:36:44 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Law Fights to Keep Pace With Tech

Law Fights to Keep Pace With Tech

By Michael Grebb
Story location: <http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,64887,00.html>

02:00 AM Sep. 09, 2004 PT

WASHINGTON -- Government and industry officials butted heads Wednesday over whether a 10-year-old law governing electronic surveillance is working -- and whether industries are meeting their obligations to help authorities catch criminals and terrorists in the internet age.

Lawmakers are considering whether to update the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act of 1994, or CALEA, to address the recent explosion of technologies such as packet-switched data.

In testimony before the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, representatives from the Justice Department and the FBI said many companies still fail to comply with CALEA.

"We are trying to work with the companies, and some companies are more difficult to work with than others," said Laura Parsky, deputy assistant attorney general in the Justice Department. "We are 10 years out on CALEA, and the technology has moved."

CALEA requires telecommunications carriers to design systems to meet wiretapping standards set by the government, but the law has long exempted "information services," which now include certain voice-over-internet protocol, or VOIP, services.

In August, however, acting upon an earlier request by Justice Department agencies, the Federal Communications Commission proposed applying CALEA to VOIP services.

The FCC has already classified cable-modem service as a "telecommunications service," bringing it under CALEA's umbrella.

Richard Green, president and CEO of Cable Television Laboratories (the cable industry's research arm), noted that the FBI this week endorsed its PacketCable Electronic Surveillance Specification (.pdf), which addresses the FBI's earlier concerns over CALEA compliance for VOIP services provided directly by cable operators.

That standard, however, has no effect on independently offered VOIP services such as those offered by companies like Skype Technologies and pulver.com.

Green told lawmakers that he believes all cable operators are now in compliance, but Parsky said some have failed to comply with court-ordered wiretaps because of technical limitations.

Several lawmakers asked Parsky to name names, but she said any public airing of violators would tip off criminals to weaknesses.

"It's something that's extremely sensitive for law enforcement," she said, noting that any such disclosure to Congress would have to be classified.

Parsky also argued that "information services" were never intended to include the transmission of data over the internet and said many companies are confused about that issue.

In fact, ambiguity over CALEA's application to the internet continues to spur considerable debate.

"Congress was very clear that it wasn't intended for the internet," said James Dempsey, executive director of the Center for Democracy and Technology.

In fact, the FBI has won new CALEA powers in recent years through lobbying at the FCC, despite limiting its requests for powers when Congress was drafting the law, charged Stewart Baker, an outside counsel for the Telecommunications Industry Association.

He said the FBI has little understanding of how regulations burden the affected industries.

"If they make a decision that's too regulatory, it doesn't cost them anything," he said. "They just want more."

But others told lawmakers that it's unclear whether Congress truly foresaw the convergence of packet-switched and circuit-switched networks when it drafted CALEA.

"It was not envisioned at the time that the internet was going to be used as a means to make phone calls," said Julius Knapp, deputy chief of the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology.

Several lawmakers echoed that sentiment at the hearing.

"We thought everything was going to be about voice," said Rep. Steve Buyer (R-Indiana). "We got it wrong. It's about data. That's the power."

At the same time, Rep. Chris Cox (R-California) warned that overregulation under CALEA could stifle innovation and enable foreign firms not subject to U.S. law to get the upper hand on American companies.

"As information services and telecommunications services morph into each other, we're going to have some tough calls to make," he said. "I think we have to be very cautious about everything in this area."

Said Marcus Thomas, deputy assistant director of the FBI's investigative technologies division: "(CALEA) didn't have as much agility as we need in the internet environment. It's going to have to be tweaked."

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>