Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Offshoring helps the economy... if you're a CEO who offshores.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 12:08 -0400

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:57:47 -0400
Subj: Re: [IP] Offshoring helps the economy... if you're a CEO who
offshores.

this is such a misuse of statistics it's hard to know where to start.

perhaps these companies perform better - or are larger - in the first
place. What percentage of jobs are going offshore? and what's happening to
their US employment?  What's cause and what's effect and what is
correlation based on other factors? the numbers cited are meaningless - at
least in the way they are cited.

I appreciate your sending these things our way but this one is not honest
opinion - it's dressed-up facts - and deserves some rebuttal (which this is
not.... this merely says that meaning is more complicated than a collection
of numbers).

Esther