Interesting People mailing list archives

BlackBerry, Beloved Gadget, Continues to Thrive

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 06:41:23 -0400

But they did not give it instant mail delivery -- at least not for t-mobile djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: October 5, 2004 1:07:26 AM EDT
To: undisclosed-recipient:;
Subject: BlackBerry, Beloved Gadget, Continues to Thrive

NEW ECONOMY

BlackBerry, Beloved Gadget, Continues to Thrive

By IAN AUSTEN
October 4, 2004

ABOUT a year ago, PalmOne was poised to challenge the dominance of
the BlackBerry, the wireless e-mail device made by Research in Motion
that has become the gadget of choice among celebrities and
politicians.

PalmOne seemed to have all the advantages. It had a customer base in
the millions while BlackBerry users numbered in the hundreds of
thousands. When it acquired Handspring, PalmOne acquired the Treo, a
device that combined a BlackBerry-like e-mail device with a
Palm-based hand-held computer, giving it all the extras that the
Blackberry lacked, like games, cameras and music players.

But somehow, the message did not make it through to BlackBerry's
loyal fan base. Not only have sales of PalmOne's Treo lagged behind
those of the BlackBerry, things have never been better for R.I.M.

Last week R.I.M., based in Waterloo, Ontario, reported a 147 percent
in second-quarter revenues, compared with the same period last year.
After reaching a million BlackBerry subscribers in February, R.I.M.
anticipates having two million by the end of the year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/04/technology/04newcon.html