Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Worth reading carefully ...to avoid another catastrophe and about war..."

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:45:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Fairlie <tfairlie () frontiernet net>
Date: October 31, 2004 12:32:45 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] "Worth reading carefully ...to avoid another catastrophe and about war..."

Hi Dave,

Although I'm sure many IP readers don't need to read
bin Laden's missive to understand where he (and the
Arab world) is coming from, I'm equally convinced that
many of them need to learn more. To start, please read
the following backgrounder on Lebanon by Juan Cole:

http://www.juancole.com/ 2004_10_01_juancole_archive.html#109921236176383690

I think Juan does an excellent job of reporting on the
Middle East (often much better than paid journalists) and
he summarizes the Lebanese motivation quite effectively.

Another great point made by Juan is that the situation we have
created in Iraq has brought them a "9-11" every week or month.

http://www.juancole.com/ 2004_09_01_juancole_archive.html#109582366638394688

Ironically, the British journal Lancet has also taken a stab at
estimating the number of civilian casualties in Iraq since the
fall of Saddam and finds the number to be almost an order of
magnitude higher than the largest estimate (16,000) being
considered (and silenced) by Westerners; about 100,000 people.

http://www.juancole.com/ 2004_10_01_juancole_archive.html#109902941049326214

My opinion is that, even though we completely and thoroughly
botched the 9-11 investigation, OBL has already owned up to the
crime and should be captured/convicted. However, how many
terrorists provide such an optimistic ultimatum to their targets
(i.e., "Your security is in your own hands. Any nation that does
not attack us will not be attacked.")? After getting OBL and any
responsible henchmen, it seems like the problem is solved. Right?

Well, after Tuesday it might be solved. Hopefully... Ugh!

Tom Fairlie
www.tomfairlie.com

Disclaimer: I do NOT hate my country.
Read a book (or ten) and get off my case.