Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Setting Fire To Japan's Cell-Phone Market

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 04:28:18 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ted Dolotta <Ted () Dolotta ORG>
Date: October 30, 2004 6:27:08 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Setting Fire To Japan's Cell-Phone Market

Having worked very, very closely with Masa Son for over ten years, I
can assure you that this is classic Son:  he has pulled off a number of
such stunts to force change in Japan:  he decided to essentially *give*
stock to all his employees in the early 1990's, because stock options
were illegal in Japan ("Insider trading," said the government ...);
they no longer are.  And the way he forced the government to give him
Japanese citizenship (he was born in Japan, but as a Korean national)
*without* him having to change his last name to an "acceptable"
Japanese surname -- which was the rule in Japan -- is an absolute classic,
but perhaps too long a story for IP.  Son is a real piece of work.

That said, the Business Week article referenced below, and even more
so, the companion interview (Online Extra:  Why Son is "Banging the
Table") have been, IMHO, "punched" up a bit:  the tone of the two
pieces is a bit over the top, and although his English is very good
(he has a B.S. from UC Berkeley), when I worked with him, Son's
vocabulary did not include words such as  "ubiquitous" and
"seamlessly" ...

Ted Dolotta

P.S.  And in the interim, SOFTBANK has 4.5 million customers who get
        20+Mb/3Mb ADSL, and all the VoIP they can eat, for some $35/month.
        NTT & KDDI have been forced to drop their rates, and the users
        benefit.  And I'm eating my heart out here in the old US of A ...

Begin forwarded message: