Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Dan Gilmore: Four Years of Lost Liberties

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:52:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Russell Nelson <nelson () crynwr com>
Date: October 29, 2004 9:55:18 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: dmcknight15 () comcast net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Dan Gilmore: Four Years of Lost Liberties

 writes:
From: dmcknight15 () comcast net
threatened.  The greatness of our nation lies in the fact that we love
freedom so much that we hate its restriction even in times of war, and
eagerly cast aside such restriction when the danger has passed.

That's a falsehood.  Every war has resulted in reduced freedom.  For
example, rent control enacted in WWII in New York City continues to
eliminate housing for poor people even though the danger from Hitler,
Hirohito, and Mussolini has long passed.

However, we must not delude ourselves in thinking that since there
hasn't been another attack on our soil that we are no longer in
danger.  If we weren't taking the fight to them, they would
certainly be taking the fight to us.

We have always been at risk, and we will always be at risk.  The
single worst terrorist attack on US soil prior to 9/11 was committed
by two red-blooded Americans.  How are we going to take the fight to
*them*?

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Violence never solves
Crynwr sells support for free software | PGPok | problems, it just changes