Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "Your papers please" down at the local mall

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:22:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: KRH <krh () gbronline com>
Date: October 24, 2004 8:36:22 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "Your papers please" down at the local mall

The Return Exchange is placing itself and its merchant customers in the
position of having to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

The Return Exchange is the consumer reporting agency with the merchant
companies supply and accessing it's data.

If a merchant company denies a customer the ability to return an item, then
the Fair Credit Report Act requires that merchant to send an "Adverse
Action" notice. If they fail to do so within the allotted time frame, they
can be sued.

Furthermore, some states mandate that unless otherwise posted at the point
of sale, the store must accept a "valid" return.

Ken Hoffman