Interesting People mailing list archives

Why would a politician go to a swing state to

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:22:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Tesler <tesler () pobox com>
Date: October 23, 2004 5:17:12 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

Why would a politician go to a swing state to persuade undecided voters--and then speak only to voters who already support him?

=====

Published on Thursday, October 21, 2004 by CommonDreams.org

 To Be Silenced, Or Not to Be: That is the Question

by Debi Smith

 "Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us."
--Justice William O.Douglas

 Last week, both vice presidential nominee John Edwards and President George W. Bush visited Southern Oregon. Considering the area is relatively rural, sparsely populated, and Oregon is a state that usually gets little attention in a presidential election, it was an unprecedented and rather exciting occasion. I decided to try and get tickets to both events for my kids and myself.

 Getting tickets from the Jackson County Democratic Party Headquarters for the Edwards event was pleasant and easy. They didn't ask me to declare a party, didn't ask who I was voting for, didn't ask me to provide personal information or a DNA sample.

 Not so at the Jackson County GOP headquarters. First they wanted to know my name, address, phone number, email, and my driver's license number. "Do they really have the time, funds, and need to run all this data through some security check? What are they afraid of?" I asked myself. But hey, if it'll get me some tickets, I'll grudgingly fill out the application.

 It didn't get me the tickets. "Are you a Bush supporter?" I was asked. I explained that I was a registered Independent and not necessarily a Bush supporter. "Are you going to vote for Bush?" I was asked. "No," I honestly, and out of curiosity to see what would happen, replied. I was summarily told that if I wasn't planning on voting for Bush, I wasn't welcome. ...

=====

The remainder of the piece is about a disturbing pattern of unreported police excesses at rallies.

Larry Tesler