Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Kodak wins Java lawsuit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 18:15:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: October 3, 2004 5:59:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Kodak wins Java lawsuit

Dave:

If Java infringes upon Kodak's patents (which formerly belonged to Wang),
what about any other object-oriented language with late binding, such
as Object REXX, Objective-C, or even Visual BASIC? What about
object-oriented extensions of any other language with late binding,
including (for example) Perl?

What about distributed object models such as CORBA, DCOM, or SOAP?

And wasn't much of the technology described in the patents implemented
in Smalltalk, which was developed more than 20 years ago?

I'm an advocate of patents -- even software patents -- that cover true
innovations. But if these patents are allowed to stand, they could inhibit
the use of technologies which clearly pre-date them.

See the patents at

http://tinyurl.com/2vfwt

http://tinyurl.com/yvlow

and