Interesting People mailing list archives

Electoral-vote.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 05:45:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Gillogly <scryer () gmail com>
Date: October 20, 2004 6:44:36 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Electoral-vote.com

Dave -

The website that aggregates state-level elections into a full
US electoral vote map (http://www.electoral-vote.com) has been
under a denial-of-service attack for some weeks now.  Up until
today I'd been able to reach the site, but today it seems to be
choked down.

The webmaster put into place several backup websites, so one
should try in order:

http://www.electoral-vote.com  (down at the moment)
http://www.electoral-vote2.com (down at the moment)
http://www.electoral-vote3.com (up at the moment)
http://www.electoral-vote4.com (up at the moment)
http://www.electoral-vote5.com (up at the moment)

Not all of the linked web pages on the backup sites are "live";
not included (e.g.) is the projected final map based on allocation
of undecided votes from historical breakdowns.

The webmaster says he doesn't know for sure who's sponsoring
the attack, but did say all of his hate mail has been coming from
Republicans, and he has his own guesses about likely culprits.

I note that a couple of days ago, for the first time in weeks, the
map showed Kerry pulling a little ahead.  Perhaps this led
someone to desperate measures.

I note that there's a place to donate money to the site to help with
all the extra expense of bandwidth and backup servers.  I sent him
a PayPal donation last week.  (For the record, I'm an Independent.)
--
         Jim Gillogly