Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Hacker Hits California University Computer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:11:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Date: October 20, 2004 4:06:32 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Hacker Hits California University Computer

At 12:22 PM 10/20/2004, David Farber wrote:
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A computer hacker accessed names and Social
Security numbers of about 1.4 million Californians after breaking
into a University of California, Berkeley, computer system in perhaps
the worst attack of its kind ever suffered by the school, officials
said on Tuesday.

I used to be the IT Security Officer in the UC Office of the President; I was the first to fill the position, and it was eliminated about a year later. UCOP can be said to manage the ten UC campuses, though people can also be said to "own" cats. :-) (Joking aside, there's a fair amount of autonomy to each of the UC campuses... UC will have an overarching IT security policy -- a major piece of it is here: http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/policies/bfb/is3.pdf -- but each campus will implement said policy, and its own policy or policies, as its own organization.)

As an ex-UC senior manager type, here are some comments and thoughts, both bearing on this current incident, and on academic computing generally.

Firstly, the most immediate and costly impact to UC occurs because of state law: SB 1386/AB 700 took effect July 1, 2003 (the start of the California fiscal year), and amended the state's Information Practices Act to require that those affected by a breach of personal information be notified. The triggers include the combination of name and SSN (others would be name and CA driver's license number, or credit card number *and* a password). So, presumably, Cal is on the hook to notify anyone who might be exposed, and at *risk* of identity theft. This aspect of the law would incline the cautious organization to put in place checks, e.g., egress monitoring, so that *if* there's a breach, one can know exactly what got exposed... there's a huge difference between "Someone cracked our system and copied out these 500 records," and "Someone cracked our system and copied a megabyte or so from this database of a million individuals' records."

I was rather disappointed by how UC chose to implement policy amendments to respond to the changes in the law; so far as I saw they consisted largely of putting a patch on the existing security policy, when a more appropriate response, from my perspective, should have been to salvage an existing *records* policy that had seen years and years of neglect. The records policies already in force (though largely unobserved) actually detailed how systems of records were to be accounted for and overseen... one of the chief problems in responding to breaches, as noted above, is in "knowing what you have and what happened to it," and putting down new rules for whom to go to with alarms is only so effective if the information system inventory is a shambles. I think one could have left the security policies entirely as they were, and simply hammered the records policies (and more, their implementation) back into compliance with reality.

Now on the other hand, any management of information systems in the university environment needs to recognize its wildly decentralized nature. IS-3, the policy in the URL above, applies almost exclusively to *administrative* systems at UC, notwithstanding that the amendments to the IPA applied to *any* information held by UC. The article suggests that the compromised database was that of an academic researcher; if this was some professor conducting an academic study, there's nothing in IS-3 to comment on his/her data security practices, or hold them to a given standard of competence. Likewise, IS-3 says nothing about what happens over the residential networks (e.g., networks serving the undergrad student dorms), though Cal would necessarily have to be responsive to inquiries re infringement from file sharing abuses, etc., per other law.

A good campus IT security policy would recognize that the school is a community of communities; I'd actually start from thorough information policies (e.g., recognizing the authorities responsible for any of the information collections, and the systems on which they reside, or over which they travel, across the administrative, academic, and residential aspects of the university), and only then produce rather concise and simple security policies.

Ross

-----

Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D., CISSP
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.