Interesting People mailing list archives

more on copyright takedown experiment

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:19:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christian Ahlert <christian.ahlert () internet-institute oxford ac uk>
Date: October 20, 2004 11:19:38 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on copyright takedown experiment

Hi dave:

If people on this list would actually care to read the Dutch paper they would see that it was an European experiment, focussing on European ISPs. Hence the DMCA does NOT apply. And under European law the "penalty of perjury" provision does not exist!

We actually did this research earlier at Oxford - we used JS Mill "On Liberty", which is clearly public domain, posted it in the US and EU. In the US we discontinued the experiment after two email exchanges with the ISP.
http://pcmlp.socleg.ox.ac.uk/liberty.pdf
http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA553.htm

In the US, and that is correct, we would have needed to lie under penalty of perjury, as spelled out in the DMCA; but we could establish that the US ISP only follows the procedure in a standardized format and does not look at the content.

If he would have done it, he would actually have been able to clearly see that there is no problem as JS Mill is clearly public domain.

However, even under US law there is potential for abuse. Diebold (infamous voting maschine maker) just lost a case because they had send C&D letters claiming wrongly copyright infringement to silence critique.
http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2004_10.php#002009

This means in the US there is at least a procedure - notice and put back; some safeguards etc... this does make it a good law, but still better than in the EU. The legal situation in the EU is even worse!

In the EU there is no such thing as a procedure, all the burden is on the ISP. The burden to authenticate the identity of the complainee, but no burden to actually judge if the content is illegal (much wider concept than just copyright).

We could highlight/show that ISPs do not have an incentive to care in the EU at all. However, this does not mean it is the ISPs fault. Its the result of a very bad law. Think about it for a moment: do you want to privatize censorship and place this burden on an ISP, who is running a business?

And this is the point: just because it is difficult to police content on the Internet, this is no excuse to hand the power to censor over to private companies, without any serious safeguards!

best
--Ch

Begin forwarded message: