Interesting People mailing list archives

F.C.C. to Seek Net Telephone Oversight

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:18:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Van Vleck <thvv () multicians org>
Date: October 20, 2004 1:15:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] F.C.C. to Seek Net Telephone Oversight

BOSTON (AP) -- FCC Chairman Michael Powell said Tuesday
that he would seek broad regulatory authority for the
federal government over Internet-based telephone services
to avoid stifling the emerging market.

So "voice" is regulated if it flows over the "internet."
How are they going to decide what's "voice?"

"Text" over IP is not regulated -- currently.
What if we had a speech recognition process,
that translated into text, and then we e-mailed the text,
and then we used a text-to-speech translator using
tables that reproduced the speaker's voice?
How bout video images of sign language?

What is the distinguishing characteristic to be regulated?
Is it the encoding of the communication?
Is it the response time of the communication?
Is it the interconnectibility with the PSTN?