Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cheer up, guys

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 03:18:48 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Frode Hegland <frode () liquidinformation org>
Date: November 4, 2004 6:20:48 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Cheer up, guys

Hiawatha,
these are easy words for you, an American. But as I had to point out to a young conservative American two years ago when he said he wished that him and I could just agree to disagree that all would be well, the problem is this: Under the Bush administration, when America doesn't agree with others, people die, as with 100,000 dead Iraqis.

"So relax. Rent a video. Go to a movie. Play with your kids. This too will pass away."

Not for many families in Iraq. Not for many families in the politically neglected Sudan (invading Iraq makes any real effort in Sudan too much of a military and diplomatic stretch, or Haiti for that matter. Or many other places with much worse political and economic living conditions than Iraq had). Not for the families of Europeans still stuck in Gitmo. Not for the families of British soldiers of the Black Watch recently sent up to cover your backs while you take Fallujah. Not for many families of the failed Bush economic and health plans.

I met you once and I think you're a nice enough guy, but please don't belittle the impact this administration and this president has had on countless lives.

I could go on, but more comments on the war, why we shouldn't have gone in (I am a Norwegian living and paying taxes in London), if you so feel like, have a look at http://www.against-war.net - it would be pointless to go into it in an email.

best,
Frode Hegland
Liquid @ UCLIC
www.liquidinformation.org