Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cheer up, guys

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 03:16:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Alberti <alberti () sanction net>
Date: November 4, 2004 10:58:55 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, watha () monitortan com
Subject: RE: [IP] Cheer up, guys

Dear Hiawatha Bray,

The fact that you can not fathom our despair or that of our neighbors
overseas illustrates part, but just a part, of what's wrong with this
country.

We progressives are not depressed because we lost an ELECTION, we are
depressed because we seem to be losing the American Dream. I realize that from YOUR point of view the American Dream has been secured, but from our point of view the American Dream has been perverted and you have been sold a
bill of goods. You may not all be "dumb," but you sure seem to be
deliberately blind to some things.

Get over it? Suck it up? Yes, I suppose we should, and I suppose we will.
But for how long?  I will try to avoid the litany of complaints that
progressives have with this Administration - I'm sure you've heard them all before and have ready rebuttals at hand. Suffice to say that progressives of all stripes are concerned that by the time we "suck up" four more years of this Administration, it will so damage this nation that repairs may be
impossible. Some wounds heal, some leave permanent scars, others kill.

Progressives believe that this Administration is vandalizing this nation, and that the 59 million people who voted for President Bush are in denial about that for various reasons ranging from fear of terrorism to a desire to
respect the office of the President during war.

My friend James Lileks, one of your conservative bloggers, likes to point
out the rights that we retain as evidence that our rights are not being
eroded.  By his logic, one shouldn't worry about the boot until it is
actually planted in one's face.  Telling us to 'suck it up' seems like a
similar argument: yes, conservatism will inevitably wane, but will it take the American dream with it? Those of us concerned with civil liberties, the
environment, public education, public discourse, freedom of speech and
faith, and the rights of oppressed groups fear that what eventually replaces
waning conservatism may not be waxing liberalism, but simple fascism.

So I'll tell you what - I'll try "sucking it up" if you'll try, just try, to
look critically at this Administration and at the things it's doing that
harm our nation. And if you can't do that - if you can't find any validity in any of the litany of complaints levelled against the Bush Administration by your progressive brethren - then you might want to ask yourself if you're seeing clearly. Because if 59 million of you can't be dumb, than neither
can 55 million of us.

Bob Alberti, CISSP, President                        Sanction, Inc.
Phone: (612) 486-5000 ext 211                         PO Box 583453
http://www.sanction.net                         Mpls, MN 55458-3453

"They SAY that your network is secure, but how can you be certain?"