Interesting People mailing list archives

Credibility Gap?: US, EU & Aljazeera English Translations of OBL Message

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 07:16:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Stephen D. Poe" <sdpoe () acm org>
Date: November 1, 2004 7:09:33 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: [For IP] Credibility Gap?: US, EU & Aljazeera English Translations of OBL Message

Dave -

Cryptome offers three parallel translations of OBL's message (from the US, EU and Aljazeera); makes for interesting reading.

Although I perhaps don't see as consistent a "credibility gap" as suggested, I do see issues with trying to translate Arabic, both vocabulary and idioms, into English.

Sorry, I can't copy here - the original uses italics and green text to differentiate the different versions.

http://cryptome.org/us-eu-gap.htm

Stephen