Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ANY OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS djf Krugman: Economic Crisis a Question of W...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:19:17 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: November 24, 2004 10:32:29 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] ANY OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS djf Krugman: Economic Crisis a Question of W...

Dave:

Having had alot of involvement with Steve Roach over the years as well as with the NYTimes editorial policy (therefore, Krugman), there are some fascinating political agendas floating around that converge on one common theme --  since we wish to claim that bad times are coming, we have to claim that technology doesn't matter and doesn't drive economic growth.

Now that I'm back in the thick-of-it as a Wall Street tech analyst, this agenda-driven anti-technology bias (also coming from the Wall Street Journal, btw) is, well, demonstrably foolish and completely at odds with reality.

Politics is a weird prism through which the facts inevitably get wildly distorted.  As a group of "politicized" technologists, IP is an interesting place to keep up with this wildness!

Best,

Mark Stahlman
New York City