Interesting People mailing list archives

School orders boy to cover his T-shirt

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:55:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: gep2 () terabites com
Date: November 23, 2004 10:02:20 PM EST
To: dallasdemocrats () egroups com, USDemocrat () yahoogroups com, USDemocrat2 () yahoogroups com, TheFalloutShelter () yahoogroups com, DiehardDems () yahoogroups com, SECULAR_HUMANIST () yahoogroups com, anti_bush_2004 () yahoogroups com, pnews-list () yahoogroups com, bushlied () yahoogroups com, dfarber () cs cmu edu
Cc: mbesso () delawareonline com
Subject: [bushlied] School orders boy to cover his T-shirt

Personally, I think it's a VERY positive thing to get young people involved in the political process early, and to ENCOURAGE them to take an interest (and a
stand!) in defending the principles of a free, democratic society with a
government "of, by, and for" the people.

Not allowing "distracting" clothing in school quickly segueways (I think) into not allowing "distracting" clothing in bars, restaurants, downtowns, shopping malls, theme parks, supermarkets, public parks, and other "public" places.

And, certainly, "free" speech doesn't mean anything at all if it doesn't include the ability to say something that makes someone, somewhere, uncomfortable.

I'm really VERY tired of the "Conservative" right wing trying to intimidate others from being able to say publicly (in anywhere that matters!) that they
don't agree!!!!  That's NOT what living in a "free" society is about.

As for "creating division rather than unity", since when are we supposed to browbeat our fellow citizens to achieve 'unity'? And who says that's even a
legitimate goal for us, as a society?

<---- Begin Forwarded Message ---->