Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Deworming the Internet -- addressing market failure in computer security

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:43:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Douglas Barnes <salguod () mail utexas edu>
Date: November 23, 2004 9:35:47 PM EST
To: jean_camp () harvard edu
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Deworming the Internet -- addressing market failure in computer security

Prof. Camp,

You raise some good points, and I thank you for pointing me in the direction of some sources that I overlooked.  One lesson I've learned from this -- my first foray in publishing an academic article -- is that it would have been very valuable to circulate drafts more widely before publication.  I had some trepidation about that, but clearly it would have been better to get this sort of feedback when there was time to do something about it.  My bad.

Before addressing your specific points, I want to establish some context.  Law reviews are student-run publications, and the members of law review write "notes" in their second year of law school (in my case, that was last year) which are finished shortly after spring break, and are selected for publication in the summer.  These notes are written in addition to quite full academic loads and substantial time commitments to the editorial process of the law review.

It's clear from a quick look at some of the sources you mention that, in the process of writing a paper spanning three disciplines, I overlooked some important work which covered some similar ground.  In particular, my command of the economics literature isn't very strong, but will hopefully improve over time (I feel it improving already ...).  My knowledge of the CS literature is slightly better, and I also rely on my personal experience in that area.  But while I seem to have reinvented the wheel in a few places, it still appears to be round.

You have a good time with my use of popular news sources, but bear in mind that for my audience -- a broad cross-section of legal practitioners and academics -- one of my primary hurdles was convincing them that this was an interesting and relevant topic.  In other places where I cite popular news sources, I am discussing the existence and nature of popular discussion and debate.  I notice that the Kannan et al. working paper on vulnerabilities, which you allude to and which I should have cited, also makes use of popular media sources for similar purposes.

You also suggest that I came to this project with a conclusion firmly in mind.  Hardly.  I started with the idea of making a call for judicial expansion of tort liability, inspired by popular calls for "liability."  As I worked through the structure of the market in software of the sort afflicted by worms and viruses, I began to realize that any software publisher that tried to compete by building in good security would tend to get crushed, while a less conscientious publisher would be willing to absorb very large amounts of liability in exchange for winning the standards competition.  I also began to worry about the implications for open source software, which, absent a statutory approach, would simply hang over the heads of developers -- while the doctrine evolved, it would be far from clear that judges would come up with a safe harbor for open source software.   Yes, open-source businesses might, in some cases, provide a more attractive target for lawsuits than open-source contributors, but those contributors would still be on the hook.   Although I don't mention this -- and perhaps should have -- it's fairly obvious that a plaintiffs' lawyer might very well decide to go after both the businesses and the contributors.

Another concern I came to see -- and which I express in the paper -- is that the ad-hoc expansion of tort liability would lead to unpredictable standards and damage awards.  Tort law is developed on a state-by-state basis, and the prospect of fifty different standards evolving on the fly would not be a very stable target for those thinking of continuing to develop software.  This is entirely different from the result of a national standards-setting process which -- as I clearly state -- the software industry could and should be involved with developing (as other industries are involved in their own regulation).  Yes, this might bottom out in a form of tailored liability, but more importantly it would allow the kind of ex-ante planning that would enable software publishers to avoid the race to the bottom without creating anything like the same degree of unpredictability.

Best regards,

Douglas Barnes