Interesting People mailing list archives

more on WiMAX vs. WiFi

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:19:59 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Kleeman <mkleeman () well com>
Date: November 23, 2004 1:26:28 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] WiMAX vs. WiFi

Dave -

This is not a simple question. WiMax could, in theory, provide larger area coverage and thus require fewer cells, less backhaul, etc. However the value of Wifi is that there are literally millions of clients in the marketplace and thus the user has little or no (if they have an integrated WiFi card in their machines) cost to use the network.

This is not an apples to apples comparison. I would be happy to engage in the dialog further if desired; I have designed numerous WiFi and non-standard but effectively Wi-Max networks.

Michael