Interesting People mailing list archives

Amateur-to-Amateur

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:54:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Hunter <hunterd () wharton upenn edu>
Date: November 17, 2004 11:56:01 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Amateur-to-Amateur

Dave:

The readers of IP might be interested in a new paper that Greg Lastowka and I recently released. It's about copyright, and we try to draw attention to the significance of amateur production of content as a counterweight to all the wailing and gnashing-of-teeth over filesharing. We suggest that amateur production is more significant than previously recognized, and that excessive focus on the protection of music industry and copyright incentives is socially retrograde.

Paper available here: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=601808

Abstract follows.  Comments (offlist) always welcome.

best wishes

Dan.

----
Title: Amateur-to-Amateur

Authors: Dan Hunter (Wharton, U.Penn) & Greg Lastowka (Rutgers Law)

Abstract: Copyright, it is commonly said, matters in society because it encourages the production of socially beneficial, culturally significant expressive content. However our focus on copyright's recent history blinds us to the social information practices which have always existed. In this article, we examine these social information practices, and query copyright's role within them. We posit a functional model of what is necessary for creative content to move from creator to user. These are the functions dealing with creation, selection, production, dissemination, promotion, sale, and use of expressive content. We demonstrate how centralized commercial control of information content has been the driving force behind copyright's expansion. However, all of the functions that copyright industries used to control are undergoing revolutionary decentralization and disintermediation. Different aspects of information technology, notably the digitization of information, widespread computer ownership, the rise of the Internet, and the development of social software, threaten the viability and desirability of centralized control over every one of the content functions. These functions are increasingly being performed by individuals and disorganized, distributed groups. This raises an issue for copyright as the main regulatory force in information practices, because copyright assumes a central control structure that no longer applies to creative content. We examine the normative implications of this shift for our information policy in this new post-copyright era. Most notably we conclude that copyright law needs to be adjusted in order to recognize the opportunity and desirability of decentralized content, and the expanded marketplace of ideas it promises.

Dan Hunter
Robert F. Irwin IV Term Assistant Professor of Legal Studies
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania
662 John M Huntsman Hall
3730 Walnut St