Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Indian gender pattern

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:29:36 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Srini RamaKrishnan <cheeni () cmu edu>
Date: November 14, 2004 2:22:19 PM EST
To: Kerstin Lundell <kerstin () nostra se>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: Indian gender pattern

Hi Kerstin,

In India it's commonly observed that girls perform better than boys in school examinations. This is mostly based on the data ([1] & [2]) gathered from the SSLC (Secondary School Leaving Certificate) exams that every Indian student needs to pass to obtain a higher secondary school certificate.

The emphasis on science in the education system is quite understandable. In a developing nation like India there are few motivators as strong as a steady pay check that the natural sciences can usually provide better. It's a matter of pride in most Indian families if their son or daughter goes to Engineering or Medical school.

Thus far, to the best of my knowledge the gender bias has been attributed somewhat unconvincingly on social rather than biological factors.

Poor and often illiterate rural Indian families tend to educate the male child in greater numbers than the female. This social phenomenon could possibly cause girl children who get an education to regard themselves as fortunate, and inspire them to work harder on their grades. However, this which is by far the most convincing theory does not prove itself in urban areas and in expensive private schools where the parents are likely to harbor no such bias when educating their children.

There are other urban legends which seek to explain this phenomenon, but serious research into this phenomenon is lacking.

Let me play the devil's advocate here, and throw in an odd observation. Being a computer geek myself I find my colleagues who take a passionate interest in the subject are often men. Open Source software is mostly contributed by volunteers who could possibly be termed to be passionate about their craft. According to [3] over 98% of open source contributors are men. Whereas in the large software companies in India I've found the gender ratio of technical employees to be almost equal or near equal.

I'll be interested to hear what you make of this.

Srini

[1]
Some news headlines off Google!

SSLC: Girls fare better (MAY 15 2003)
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2003/05/16/stories/ 2003051604920600.htm

Girls outsmart boys in Kerala SSLC exam (MAY 25 2002)
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2002/05/26/stories/ 2002052602010600.htm

Girls maintain good performance (JUNE 18 2001)
http://www.hinduonnet.com/2001/06/19/stories/04192231.htm

[2]
Girls outdo boys in 7th standard exam
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2002/05/21/stories/ 2002052104300600.htm