Interesting People mailing list archives

Domain transfers/ICANN (and clarifying msg authorship)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:30:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: November 12, 2004 12:20:58 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Domain transfers/ICANN (and clarifying msg authorship)

Dave,

A couple of comments relating to this topic that hopefully will
clarify the issues a bit:

First, I want to note that on the second message that is under my
name forwarded below (from the original IP msg text) the forwarder
had stripped the reply markers and made it look like the entire
message was authored by me.  In fact, the message was authored by
Arnt Gulbrandsen and I was replying.  I have reinserted the markers
below and annotated for accuracy in the record.

Second, I thought it was clear all along that we were talking about
domain registrar transfers, not domain ownership transfers within a
registrar.  The effects of a unwanted registrar transfer can still be
highly significant, especially given the varying operational policies
of various registrars, and what has been observed to be "spammer
friendliness" on the part of some.  How do you think spammers manage
to get hold of so many throwaway domains so quickly?  Spammers are
apparently among the fastest adopters of supposed "anti-spam"
techniques like SPF (and can be expected to continue operating quite
successfully in the face of Domain Keys as well, for reasons I won't
delve into in this message).

Bottom line: Domains are valuable resources, both to domain owners
and to registrars.  Unwanted transfers of domains between registrars
can still be a very big problem, and the concerns being expressed
over the defaults and timeout periods in the new ICANN policy remain
completely valid.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://www.vortex.com/lauren-blog