Interesting People mailing list archives

Let's Have Less Of Lessig]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:32:20 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Let's Have Less Of Lessig
Date:   Sun, 16 May 2004 20:57:57 -0400
From:   Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
To:     undisclosed-recipient:;

Digital Tools
Let's Have Less Of Lessig
Stephen Manes, 04.02.04, 3:00 PM ET

I suspect the Mies van der Rohe estate won't sue me for saying it's clearer than ever that when it comes to copyright law, Lessig is Moron. Stanford law professor Lawrence "Larry" Lessig has lately been the Great Oz of copyright law, with student acolytes, members of the self-important blogosphere and Tin Woodmen of the press hanging on the latest droppings from his Palo Alto, Calif., Emerald City tower about the supposedly pernicious evils of today's copyright system.

Lessig has had a remarkable free ride in the public prints, but apparently he had a nightmarish vision of the curtain coming down on his radically silly ideas when he read my lambasting of his wacky new book, Free Culture, in the March 29 issue of Forbes (see "The Trouble With Larry"). Not only did Lessig take to blustering and bloviating in his March 20 blog entry, but he seems to have been the victim of a meltdown worthy of the Wicked Witch of the West.

http://www.forbes.com/2004/04/02/cz_sm_0402manes.html