Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New flaw takes Wi-Fi off the air

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:41:22 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 07:23:37 -0700
From: Jim Thompson <jim () netgate com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on New flaw takes Wi-Fi off the air
To: dave () farber net

Um, no, I don't think it has anything to do with OFDM's "sub-carriers".

The authors haven't described the attack, exactly, I believe, because there is a paper coming out in a couple days, and there are pre-publication issues. That stated, the Australian CERN report does provide clues. The "problem isn't as bad with 802.11g or 802.11a at speeds over 20Mbps" may provide a hint.

The "vulnerability" may have to do with the longer slot time of DSSS modulation in 802.11b (20us) in comparison to that in OFDM modulations (9us) of 802.11a, and, in particular, values derived from the slot time,
such as DIFS (50us)

802.11b:
        •       SIFS = 10 µs
        •       Slot time = 20 µs
        •       DIFS = 2 x Slot time + SIFS = 50 µs

802.11a:
        •       SIFS = 16 µs
        •       Slot time = 9 µs
        •       DIFS = 2 x Slot time + SIFS = 34 µ

 802.11g SIFS = 10 µs
 802.11g short slot time = 9 µs (802.11g-only mode with no legacy stations)
 802.11g long slot time = 20 µs (mixed mode requires slow slot time)
(I'll leave it to the reader to calculate DIFS for each of the two 11g modes (2 x slot time + SIFS))

Now, whats the throughput for 54Mbps station in a mixed-mode 802.11b/g network? Well, with an 802.11b station associated, but idle (such that protection is enabled, but the 11b STA isn't tying up the air), the (calculated)UDP throughput is .. 19.6Mbps. So once you're "over 20Mbps" then you don't have any 11b STAs associated. And lets not forget that these protection frames have to be sent modulated with DSSS (so the 11b stas can grok them), and thus, it "only affects DSSS" (ahem).

BTW max theoretic TCP throughput for 11g with a 11b client associated to the AP is around 13.5Mbps (if the AP and STA are both sending @ 54Mbps,)

Its not proof, but it does 'fit', given what they've released. I'll also guess out loud that the 'attack' has to do with setting (or resetting) CWmin (15us for 11a/11g, 31us for 11b), an causing overly-long NAVs to be set.

Again, this is just off the top of my head (and from memory). And all of the above is DCF, not PCF or EDCF. If your readers don't understand the terms here, google can be of help.

Jim