Interesting People mailing list archives

more on P2P software developer busted

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:01:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Perlman <perl () lucent com>
Date: May 10, 2004 4:14:44 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: IKEDA Nobuo <ikedanob () db3 so-net ne jp>
Subject: Re: [IP] P2P software developer busted

Dave:

So, let me understand. In Japan if you develop software that MIGHT be used to violate copyright laws you can be charged with a crime and be arrested. Yet, in the USA, if you manufacture guns that MIGHT be used to kill someone you are essentially immune from criminal prosecution and, based on recent court cases, even from civil action -- and if the congress has its way, you will soon be fully immune for any liability from the uses of your products.

We do indeed live in strange times in which intellectual property seems to be more sacred than human life.

Richard