Interesting People mailing list archives

Clean Image Is So Key To Google's Success, Why Take Gmail Risk?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 06:21:52 -0400

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 01:03:48 -0400
To: undisclosed-recipient:;
From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Subject: Clean Image Is So Key To Google's Success, Why Take Gmail Risk?

May 6, 2004
Clean Image Is So Key To Google's Success, Why Take Gmail Risk?

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

Truckloads of ink and gigabytes of Internet space are being devoted
these days to discussing the merits of Google, the Web's leading
search engine. Most of these articles aren't focusing on how Google
functions for its users but on its value as an investment in light of
the company's announcement last week that it is going public.

I don't give stock tips, and I have no idea whether investing in
Google is a good idea. But I want to focus for a few moments here on
why Google's stock offering is a big deal in the first place: It's
because the company has created a service that works brilliantly for
consumers.

Google's initial success was built on its breakthrough search
technology, which produced more useful search results, much more
quickly, than anyone else. Some analysts believe that edge is waning
or is gone. I still think Google is the best, but in any case,
there's another secret to Google's success: honesty.

Of all the major search engines, Google is the only one that's truly,
scrupulously honest. It's the only one that doesn't rig its search
results in some manner to make money.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20040506.html