Interesting People mailing list archives

whoops on medical privacy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:11:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Date: May 25, 2004 1:29:50 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Fwd:

---------

I went to the doctor today and was asked to sign a paper saying that I had
received a copy of the office's privacy policy. So I asked
for a copy of the privacy policy and received a 10-page document, which I
actually decided to look over.

After reading the first page, I turned to the next page, expecting more
scintillating legalese. On the back of the first page: a copy of a patient's
blood test results, complete with the person's name and address, etc.! The
doctor's receptionist was quite astonished, said, "Uh, this must somehow have
printed on the back ..."

(If you send forward this to anyone, please remove all identifying information
-- it was clearly unintentional and I think my doctor is totally top-notch in
every way.)

Also, I want to set a good example." [for privacy]

---------