Interesting People mailing list archives

More Diebold Voting Machine Security Problems

From: dave () farber net
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:35 -0400

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: EEkid () aol com
To: dave () farber net
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:27:30 -0400 (EDT)
Subj: More Diebold Voting Machine Security Problems

"What we found was that all the [Diebold] voting machines used the same
secret encryption key code, that the code had never been changed and that
all of
the developers had access to it,"

"What I am surprised about, though, is that unlike previous discoveries
such
as SDMI or WEP, where the companies changed what they were doing because of
the papers published, Diebold has done little to fix these problems."

Profile: Adam Stubblefield

By Niall McKay, Contributing Writer
17 May 2004 | Security Wire Perspectives

Last year, Adam  Stubblefield was driving home from his summer internship
at
Microsoft Research in Redmond, Wash., thinking of how to find alternative
password mechanisms, when it hit him. "I realized that the shape of clouds
reminded me of objects in the real world," he said.
He had read that people presented with the same inkblot over a number of
months said that it reminded them of the same set of words. The same
technique,
Stubblefield reasoned, could be used to help people remember forgotten
passwords. So the college student spent the rest of his summer proving his
theory, and
Microsoft filed a patent. The method, it seems, has a better than 95%
success
rate, and the software giant is planning to include it in future products.
Stubblefield, now a second year doctoral student at Johns Hopkins
University,
is one of the rising stars in the world of computer security research. At
23,
he was the youngest speaker at the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy
in
Oakland, Calif., last week, where he presented a paper on electronic voting
technology.
Computer security has always been his calling. Even as a math undergraduate
at Rice University, Stubblefield interned at Wang, Xerox's PARC and AT&T.
He
reverse engineered MP3.com's Beamit, a digital rights management software
program, as a freshman. He was part of the team that cracked SDMI digital
watermarking technology and co-authored a number of academic papers on
topics from Web
security to IP traceback. As a senior he also took an academic paper on a
theoretical hole in the cipher RC4, used for encrypting WiFi (using WEP),
and
created an attack. His paper has given rise to use of new ciphers such as
WPA as
well as WiFi hacking tools like AirSnort.
Last summer, it was Stubblefield and UC San Diego's Yosh Kohno working with
and under the guidance of professors Avi Rubin of Johns Hopkins University
and
Dan Wallach of Rice University who produced a report detailing the security
problems with Diebold's electronic voting system, which created a great
deal of
controversy.
"What we found was that all the voting machines used the same secret
encryption key code, that the code had never been changed and that all of
the
developers had access to it," he said. Other problems with the technology
have led
states to reconsider e-voting in the upcoming presidential election.
Stubblefield dismisses conspiracy theories that surround Diebold. "In some
ways it's far worse than that, they just did not know what they were
doing," he
said. For example, they were able to analyze the Diebold voting machine
source
code because the company had accidentally left it on an open FTP server.
He is uninterested in the political activism that has emerged as a result
of
the report. "I do not have a political point of view that I am trying to
prove. I am just interested in what I can contribute from a technical point
of
view," he said. "What I am surprised about, though, is that unlike previous
discoveries such as SDMI or WEP, where the companies changed what they were
doing
because of the papers published, Diebold has done little to fix these
problems."
As an undergraduate, Stubblefield was one of the eight researchers that
cracked SDMI technology. The researchers had taken part in the SDMI public
challenge in 2001, which offered $10,000 to anybody who could crack one of
four
digital watermarking technologies. The team cracked them all but rather
than take