Interesting People mailing list archives

Panel on women entering computer science (Google, June 2)]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:22:10 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Panel on women entering computer science (Google, June 2)
Date:   Mon, 17 May 2004 07:19:33 -0700
From:   J Clark <judico () gmail com>
To:     dave () farber net

for IP?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ellen R. Spertus <spertus () mills edu>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:35:08 -0700

Could you help me spread the word about a panel  to be held at Google
on nontraditional routes into computer science, especially (but not
exclusively) for women?  I'd be very grateful if you'd forward this to
appropriate individuals or lists or give me suggestions of where to
publicize it.

Ellen

http://anitaborg.org/events/careers_in_cs.htm

The Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology and Google are
pleased to co-sponsor an all-star female panel on education options
for entering and re-entering Computer Science and IT on Wednesday,
June 2 at 6:00pm at Google's headquarters in Mountain View, CA.
Attendance is free but space is limited and you must pre-register.

One of the many myths about the computer industry is that you must be
young to enter the field. To the contrary, many highly successful
women and men study Computer Science when well past traditional
college age. Several innovative programs exist in the Bay Area for
older students, with or without a diploma, who wish to study Computer
Science.

It's Never Too Late: Careers in Computer Science panelists include a
mix of successful women who have followed this path and educators from
a number of local programs. They will discuss the challenges,
opportunities and strategies to entering or re-entering this field.

Moderator: Nancy Ramsey, a futurist, author and entrepreneur.

Panelists:

* Dr. Barbara Simons, former President of the ACM, co-chair of ACM's
US Public Policy Committee and retired IBM researcher.
* Ms. Constance Conner, Instructor of Computer Science at City College
of San Francisco and a graduate of the Mills College re-entry program.
* Dr. Lizbeth Martin, Dean of Sciences at Notre Dame de Namur
University (Belmont).
* Ms. Radhika Malpani, Software Engineer at Google and graduate of the
Berkeley re-entry program.
* Dr. Ellen Spertus, Director of the Interdisciplinary Computer
Science Program at Mills College (Oakland), and visiting Scientist at
Google.