Interesting People mailing list archives

Exporting America - your note to Dave Farber

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:03:01 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Aniruddh Wahal <aniruddhwahal () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:41:16
To:jparmate () columbus rr com
Cc:dave () farber net
Subject: Exporting America - your note to Dave Farber

Dear John

I really enjoyed reading your note to Dave Farber - it talked rational and
unbiased sense that has been around since David Ricardo and Adam Smith.

It was very heartening to know that there are still people who can think
like you do.

Strangely, in India, there is a political backlash against the call-center
jobs too !

Over there, some lobbies are touting the fact that such jobs are corrupting
our youth, and hence the Indian culture - just the way a lot of countries
take pride in future progress, Indians set a lot of stock by remaining
rooted to traditions.

Now, since the employees in India in call centers are almost always fresh
college graduates, they have finally money to spend on themselves while they
are still young - for the very first time in Indian history.

And where do they spend it - on Coke, Mac, Levi's, Britney Spears and MTV -
just like youth all over the world.

So, just the way some people are losing jobs in America, certain others are
losing entire vote banks in India !

Ample reason for these people to contort the economics, mix it with vote
politics, religion, culture-protection and other things to promote their
losing cause.

I think, eventually as always, 'the invisible hand' will win over-
meanwhile, we will lose some good airtime, few people will lose some dollars
and few others will lose some votes.

Once again, thanks for your note - I am living and working in America (not
in IT industry, not even in any of the 'new economy' businesses) and like to
think people around me are what I thought of them while reading text-books
and other things when I was in India - rational.

Best regards
Aniruddh