Interesting People mailing list archives

Stanford -- petaFLOP/s systems and changing the nature of science * 4:15PM, Wed March 31, 2004 in Gates B03

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:03:33 -0500

              COMPUTER SYSTEMS LABORATORY COLLOQUIUM
                4:15PM, Wednesday, March 31, 2004
       NEC Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B03
                   http://ee380.stanford.edu[1]

Topic:    petaFLOP/s systems and changing the nature of science
          How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the petaFLOP/s

Speaker:  Mark Seager
          Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

About the talk:

There are now several practical petaFLOP/s architectures that can
be built in the 2007-2009 timeframe. We discuss several
alternative architectures and the implications for applications
development. We use the IBM BlueGene/L
(http://www.llnl.gov/asci/platforms/bluegenel/) design and the
SRC MAP
(http://www.srccomputers.com/HardwareElements.htm#MAPProcessor)
designs as starting points for the discussion. In addition, we
show the high-level architecture of a simulation environment
being built at LLNL to support 10s teraFLOP/s, going to 100s
teraFLOP/s simulations and how this might scale to petaFLOP/s.

Using this environment, we have produced simulations in several
areas of Science that have pushed back the boundaries of
scientific knowledge before theory and experiments were able to.
With this experience it occurs to us that the with the advent of
10s --> 100s teraFLOP/s computing, the nature of science is
changing. We review some of the scientific areas that will be
impacted at LLNL by the BlueGene/L platform.

About the speaker:

Dr. Seager received his B.S. Degree in Mathematics and
Astrophysics at the University of New Mexico at Albuquerque in
1979 and received his PhD in Numerical Analysis from the
University of Texas at Austin in 1984. Mark started working at
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in 1983 and has been
working in the field of parallel processing ever since. He
manages the Platforms Program for the Advanced Simulation and
Computing (ASCI) Program at LLNL and has successfully managed
partnership to successfly deply architectures such as ASCI Blue
Pacific (3.9 TF/s in 1998), ASCI White (12.3 TF/s in 2000) and
the powerful LLNL Linux clusters (MCR at 11.3 TF/s in 2002 and
Thunder at 23 TF/s in 2004). He is currently managing the IBM
contract for ASCI Purple (100 TF/s in 2H05) and BlueGene/L
(180/360 TF/s in 1H2005). His current interests include advanced
technology and scalable systems architecture, performance and
commodity based high performance computing.

Contact information:

Mark Seager
7000 East Ave
POBOX 808, L-60