Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Op-Ed Columnist: May I See Your ID?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:00:09 -0500

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:08:26 -0500
From: Dave Wilson <dave () wilson net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Op-Ed Columnist: May I See Your ID?
To: dave () farber net

(Disclaimer: I was a journalist for two decades)

With regard to things like ricin production, the Supreme Court's decision in the Pentagon Papers case gives us a straightforward test about when material should be removed from public view: information that offers "grave, direct, immediate and irreparable harm to the national security of the United States" can be restricted by the government.

This test is so narrow that in 1979 the government even abandoned attempts to block the publication of an article explaining how to build a hydrogen bomb in a magazine called The Progressive, despite actually winning an injunction from a federal judge barring publication.

Why such a narrow test? Because, as in the case of the Pentagon Papers, otherwise officials will attempt to claim national security is at stake when in reality they only seek to protect themselves or wound their opponents. The Pentagon Papers detailed a concerted effort by certain individuals to mislead the American public about the conflict in Vietnam. In a sense, national security *was* at stake, but not for the obvious reasons.

The Pentagon Papers test recognizes the human frailty present in many of us. How many people do you know who would not be tempted to protect themselves, their friends, or their allies by attempting to suppress damaging information on national secuity grounds? By setting up such a strict test, a wise Supreme Court largely removed such temptations.

Does anybody legitimately need to know how to make ricin? I can't imagine why, at least not at the present time. I also can't imagine why anybody would need to make a hydrogen bomb based on the information in The Progressive. And I certainly disagree with the idea that just because you know something you should be able to publish it. But I don't know of a test that would let the government legitimately ban information about manufacture of ricin that couldn't be abused. For instance, we used to lock people up for saying bad -- but sometimes true -- things about this nation because those statements damaged our morale, which hurt us and helped our enemies. I can't imagine we ever want to go back there.

There was a Supreme Court justice who used to rib federal solicitors by saying, "I interpret the phrase 'Congress shall make no law restricting freedom of speech' to mean that Congress shall make no law restricting freedom of speech." It's not that we can't identify stuff that should be restricted; it's that it's too hard to stop once we get started. I am proud to live in a nation where the right to speak remains cherished and protected, despite occasional efforts to the contrary.

-dave