Interesting People mailing list archives

Can Skype ride the hype to VoIP success?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:43:40 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
[Note: A better take on the future of Skype and the investment that I reported on yesterday. DLH]

March 16, 2004

Can Skype ride the hype to VoIP success?
<http://blog.redherring.com/MT/archives/main/000139.html>

Skype, the voice over IP (VoIP) telephony company founded by the instigators of the filesharing system KaZaA, has raised $18.8 million in a second round from Draper Fisher Jurvetson and Index Ventures. The Amsterdam-based company hasn't said what it will do with the money, but we have a few ideas.

Right now, Skype's free software and free service allows PC users to call one another over the Internet using a microphone connected to their computer. At this point, it is probably best described as "voice instant messaging" because it relies on buddy lists of alphanumeric names (not telephone numbers) and does not interconnect with the packet switched telephone network (PSTN). Skype claims 8.9 million downloads of its software; based on our experience, at any time a couple hundred thousand people are logged in, but because it is a peer-to-peer system, only part of the network should be visible to any individual peer at any time. The voice quality is excellent, but it is a PC-to-PC service and, for now that limits its utility.

By contrast, VoIP provider Vonage, which provides an interconnection from its IP-based service to the public switched voice network, seems a more effective offering today. It's $49.99 unlimited calling plans for business and personal services that start at $14.99 and range up to $34.99 give the customer a phone number and the ability to call any phone and have the virtue of fitting telephone customers' existing purchase habits while delivering substantial savings.

"[Vonage's technology] doesn't destroy the PSTN model, but it does change it a lot," said Vonage Holdings CFO John Rego in a conference call hosted by this writer for InnovationWORLD on Monday. In fact, Vonage partners with phone companies and traditional telecommunications companies in each region it enters. The company raised $40 million in February and Rego expects it to break even and reach approximately 700,000 subscribers by year-end.

Skype says it will not charge for phone service at any point. It's business model appears to be aiming for fees based on new capabilities built into its software.

"Skype will always provide the free features our users have grown to expect, and we will continue the enhancements in our premium version that will launch later this year,"CEO Niklas Zennstrom said in February, when Skype introduced conference calling for users.

The challenge of inventing a whole new phone in software is a significant undertaking, but we think that Skype cannot manage to subvert the PSTN in a timely way, at least not fast enough to satisfy investors. The total cost of that project is incalculable, though probably surprising low. With MCI writing down $60 billion in assets this week due, in addition to $8.8 billion in fraud-related asset value, there is ample evidence that the PSTN's value is diminishing rapidly. Nevertheless, there is a massive installed base of telephones and, more importantly, telephone numbers.

At some point, then, Skype has to provide interconnections with the at least one billion existing telephones in the world and that is what the new round will likely go to, along with marketing. If it does not, Skype may enjoy continued growth in free usage, but it will be hard-pressed to attract paying customers who need to connect to friends or colleagues with plain old telephone service.

The capital expenditure required to interconnect with the PSTN is quite low. Rego said Vonage was able to add service in Canada in a matter of weeks and for approximately $200,000. It's capital spending to date is a remarkably low $12 million. Where Vonage has invested most heavily is in marketing. It has placed television, print and online advertising to attract the approximately 100,000 customers it has now.

Skype, if it were to tackle U.S. and European local interconnections, would need to raise more capital very quickly to follow up that capital investment with marketing.

In the meantime, Vonage has introduced a software-based phone for the PC and PocketPC devices, allowing wireless connectivity from a wi-fi enabled handheld.

The two companies are converging on the same market with very different models. And the technology will allow new competition to emerge quickly from other quarters.
Posted by Red Herring at March 16, 2004 09:13 AM

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>