Interesting People mailing list archives

Outline of Keynote talk at the ISART (rave reviews given ) -- full PPT available on request

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 07:08:04 -0700

6thANNUAL
INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ADVANCED RADIO TECHNOLOGIES

2 - 4 March 2004

325 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado 80305 USA

f39be9b.jpg

Tuesday, March 2, 2004

9:00 Welcome, <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/ntiageneral/bios/mdgbio_10162003.htm>Michael D. Gallagher, Acting Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Communications and Information and Acting NTIA Administrator 9:15 Keynote Address, <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber/>David Farber, Distinguished Career Professor of Computer Science and Public Policy, <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/>Carnegie Mellon University, <http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/01/biztech/articles/03farb.html>Former FCC Chief of Technology

Outline of talk

What are the FCC policy issues of the future and how will that impact the data world:

–    Spectrum , spectrum, spectrum

•   UWB, SDR and open range

•   Interference?

–    Competition  -- or the lack thereof

•   Increasing consolidation

–    The internet – what to do or not do

We Are at the Beginning of a Great Change – yet again

•     The next 10 years will be as wild as the last 25

•     Technology will change dramatically

– Moores law -- The power of a computer will double every 18 months. (maybe 12 months now)

The Real Next Generation -- Photonic Networks

•       Implications

–     Protocols IP?

–     Processor architecture

–     Software systems

•       Will it be a fully distributed system -- back to the past

NLR Footprint Topology

National Light Rail

•      Dark Fiber National footprint

•      Serves very high-end Experimental and Research Applications

•      4- 10.0 GB Wavelengths initially (4 - 40 Gigs planned)

•      Partnership

Firehoses feeding a garden hose

•      100s of megabits to the home and in the home

–     XDSL,

–     Cable,

–     Fiber

–     Wireless

•      How to get there

•      A challenge to the establishment -- the carriers

•      Economics?

•      So what do I need it for?

What are the techno-policy issues in spectrum?

•     How long can we exist in the chaos and limits of current spectrum  use

–    Is spectrum unlimited?

–    Commons vs property rights vs current state

•    Sue them or regulate them?

•     Different ways of networking – Mesh

–    Security etc

Security and Availability Will Be the Drivers

•     The current internet is vulnerable

•     Points of potential vulnerability

–    Service protocols

–    Commercial arrangements

–    Old software

–    Hard to design security in after the fact

Liberty vs Security

•     Location technology

•     Identification technology

•     Let me listen – I promise I will not wrongly use it

•     Can I have security and still liberty?

Digital Rights Management DRM

•     Lots of “we hate it”

•     Lots of ban it

•     What is it?

•     Why might we actually learn to love it

Privacy Rights Management

•     The global data about me

•     Who will look at it?

•     Who will use it for what

•     Accountability

My favorite quotes

• They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety – Ben Franklin 1784

• The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it -- John Gilmore