Interesting People mailing list archives

: And Another E-Voting Problem

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:49:30 -0400

------Original Message------
From: David Bolduc
To: David Farber
Sent: Mar 2, 2004 11:48 AM
Subject: FW: And Another E-Voting Problem

For IP, if you like.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bolduc
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 12:47 PM
To: Johnmacs Group (E-mail)
Subject: And Another E-Voting Problem

One that hadn't occurred to me, but should have:

http://www.instapundit.com/archives/014431.php
<snip>
UPDATE: Athena Runner emails from California:

My husband and I went to vote this morning at 7 a.m. in
Carlsbad, CA (San Diego County) and the new and improved
*cough* electronic voting system wouldn't boot up. I went
back twice and at 8 a.m., they still weren't working.
Apparently it's a sporadic problem county wide.

When voter turnout is so low already, forcing people to try
and come back multiple times is a huge problem. I miss my
paper ballot.

Bryon Scott also emails:

At least the machines in Maryland are working. Here in San
Diego the local radio stations are reporting that more than a
dozen areas in the county can't even get the machines up and running.

Paper always works.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Reader Bruce Bender emails:

New voting machines were down in at my polling place in
Oceanside, CA (next door to Camp Pendleton). Many people here
leave for the day to work in San Diego and Orange and will
either try again tonight or not vote. It is a strange feeling
to be denied the chance.

Several other readers are reporting problems in various
locales. You can't expect any system to work perfectly, of
course, but this really doesn't seem ready for prime time.