Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Robot race ends without a winner

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 04:13:56 -0500

From: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>

Dave,
I've been down at the Grand Challenge for the last 3 days. The AP story
does not capture the event at all. As you know, no one thought the bots
would get far, so the real story was the enthusiasm of the builders
,the support from the audience, and of course, the wierd and wonderful
variety of robots ranging from a petite gyro-motorcycle, to a hulking
deuce-and-a-half.  GC had an edge-of-something-big feel very evocative
of homebrew in the '70s . And next year should be even better, though
having run the course yesterday in a 4wd, I'd be surprised if any bot
makes it to Prim in the next two races.  This could become the Burning
Man for grease-balls, and in that spirit, I would not be surprised if
folks decide to disintermediate DARPA and run it themselves.

-p