Interesting People mailing list archives

Inteview with Dave Farber on second anniversary of Intel Research Pittsburgh -- full text and reference to complete story on second anniversary of Labs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:24:05 -0400

http://www.intel.com/research/network/pittsburgh_collab.htm

David Farber
Distinguished Career Professor of Computer Science and Public Policy Carnegie Mellon University

Q1: You came to Carnegie Mellon on sabbatical and decided to stay on as a faculty member, in part because of Intel Research Pittsburgh. How did the lab factor into your decision?

A1: It was a strong factor in my decision. I started out in industry. About 35 years ago I moved to the academic world, but I've always tried to stay involved with industry. Over the years I've been involved with lots of companies, and I've had a long-term relationship with Intel that goes back about 30 years.

Once when I was at Intel on a very short sabbatical, visiting some of the senior management, I was asked to think about and give advice on the issue of what Intel should do in the area of research. So when I came to Carnegie Mellon on sabbatical, I was intrigued to see the Intel lab near campus and wanted to go over and visit. I found they had established a very nice relationship between industry and academia.

Often you see industrial research labs where academics visit. But there's a closer connection between the Intel lab and Carnegie Mellon. Faculty and students are involved in the lab's research and attend seminars and talks at the lab. Intel researchers also attend events at Carnegie Mellon, and several of the Intel researchers have secondary appointments at the university. So this is not an industrial laboratory that occasionally talks to the university. There is a very close relationship-a nice, blurry line between the Intel lab and Carnegie Mellon, and it benefits both sides. That was one my strong motivations in coming to Carnegie Mellon.

 Q2: How does Intel Research Pittsburgh benefit Carnegie Mellon?

A2: There are also some things that you just can't do in a university. For instance, building state-of-the-art electronics models is a very hard job to get done in the university, if you can do it at all. This is not the business world; we don't have model shops or fab facilities. So having access to state-of-the-art technology such as Intel's is invaluable for the university, and often it's the only way you can build prototypes.

Q3: What are the benefits to Intel of the relationship with Carnegie Mellon?

A3: Carnegie Mellon feeds back to Intel the new and exciting ideas coming out of the academic world. Today universities, in general, are where the new and exciting ideas in the computer business start. The university is the place where people can speculate, they can try things, they can break the mold. So having a lab in close proximity to a university, and having it integrated with academia in the way that Intel Research Pittsburgh is integrated with Carnegie Mellon, ensures that the new ideas generated in academia will be transferred to industry.

In some way, this takes the place of the pure research of the massive industrial labs of the past, such as Bell Laboratories. Those huge labs were once the places where new, stimulating ideas started, but now that's changed dramatically; we're never going to build big industrial research laboratories again.

 Q4: Why won't we see large industrial research labs in the future?

A4: Industry as a whole has a very short perspective, because of pressure from the stock market for short-term profitability, and that tends to drive companies away from research. I wish it didn't, but on the other hand, it may turn out that those market pressures will put us in a much better position than we were before. We have a lot more major universities in this country than we've ever had research labs.

Q5: Tell us about your involvement with the Intel Research Pittsburgh lab.

A5: I serve as a faculty advisor to the lab. Among other things, I helped to teach a recent course Internet-scale sensor networks, which was jointly developed by the lab and Carnegie Mellon. My contribution, because of some of my current interests and my activities in Washington, D.C., was to focus on the societal impacts of sensor technology, both positive and negative. It turns out that a surprising number of the students really wanted to understand what the impact of their work is on society. It was a very popular course, fully subscribed.

Q6: We hear you are also working on a National Science Foundation grant for the Internet Suspend/Resume project. What is the focus of the grant?

A6: We want to take the research to the next step, which is to look at the security issues that are involved when suddenly the state of your machine is more or less taken away from you and then rematerialized on another machine. There are a lot of interesting, difficult issues involved, such as the guarantee that the information on your machine is untouched during the transition. Another issue is that when you hide your computer on a file system, you may in some cases want to do all of the maintenance on the machine, such as taking out viruses and updating software. These are all issues that aren't trivial to actually implement. So that's the essence of the NSF proposal, which is now being reviewed.

Q7: You have watched the Intel Research Pittsburgh lab evolve since its founding in early 2002. What is your view of the lab's progress so far?

A7: I think the lab has progressed very well. The best gauge of how the lab is doing is how Intel's senior management views it. Senior management at Intel is very careful about how money is spent. The fact that Intel Research Pittsburgh and the other labs in the Intel Research Network have been expanded and given full support is the best endorsement I can think of. The Pittsburgh lab has passed its honeymoon period, and everyone seems happy with the interactions, both the university and the corporation.

The Intel Research Network of labs is a marvelous idea, and a very good model for what I believe is the only way we're going to get basic research done for the industrial sector in the future. Research is so easy to cut for most companies; you can always defer research.

 Q8: Intel seems to keep investing in research.

A8: [Intel CEO] Craig Barrett constantly says that whether times are good or bad, you have to continue investing in research, and he really means it. That commitment to research says a lot about Intel's culture, and I think it is one of the reasons for Intel's success.

 About David Farber

David J. Farber is Distinguished Career Professor of Computer Science and Public Policy in the School of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University, holding secondary appointments in the Heinz School of Public Policy and the Engineering Public Policy Group. In 2003 he retired from his position as the Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems at the University of Pennsylvania, where he held appointments as Professor of Business and Public Policy at the Wharton School of Business and as a Faculty Associate of the Annenberg School of Communications.

More about David Farber.
http://www.epp.cmu.edu/people/bios/farber.htm