Interesting People mailing list archives

report on one month using the Voom Satellite TV service

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:33:27 -0400

About one month ago, I switched from Comcast cable to Voom (www.voom.com). The reasons for the switch were multiple. Comcast Pittsburgh cable quality was fair to poor with little attempt to improve even after many complaints. Also my HDTV set was not getting very much HDTV.

The installation of the Voom went very well. Good local installer who understood the local over the air availability of digital stations (the Voom set box does not handle non-digital yet). I get 4 local stations and would get our NPR station if they ever fix their digital transmitters (they seem to have been down since January). That gives me more than adequate local service.

The human interface of the Voom system was actually better for me than the Comcast. I have had little problems with the unit except one freeze that were easily fixed by a simple re-power (I had problems with the comcast box also).

My Tivo interfaced well and TIVO carries Voom schedules. I am waiting very patiently for the HD model of either TIVO or Voom to be really available.

I get about all the channels I watched on Comcast via the Voom sat and get 30 ish HDTV channels with rather decent programming and very good picture. Only channels I don't get that I would like is BBC America (coming soon) and National NPR.

All in all a very good switch and one I wish I had made earlier.

STRONGLY RECOMMENDED

Dave

ps more as time goes on.